Bloggerette Sorority

Won't you join us?

Welcome

Welcome to my newest blog. What is a kimberline you ask? Well where I live in Portland, Dorset, it is a nickname given to newcomers to the Island. Yes Portland is an Island seperated from Weymouth by a causeway. Its part of the Jurassic coast and I love living here. I will be posting lots of different things I hope you enjoy visiting here. Hugs Sara

http://Saras-kitchen-creations.blogspot.com

the above link is my second blog home to some yummy receipies and info on cooking

Sunday 3 June 2012

Hi Everyone.


Last weekend we went to Belfast, Ireland for a couple of days.  We went to see the new Titanic museum they had just opened earlier this year.  Belfast built the ship Titanic.  The history in Belfast is immense and you can feel it everywhere you go.  The Harland and Wolf  yellow cranes were unmissable even from the plane.   It was just so amazing to see just that for real arfter seeing videos and photos on the papers and internet. 
The museum was an awesome building from the outside.  It is supposed to represent the ships bow from one angle and the sea from another



Inside the museum covered 6 floors. Fortunately they are very disabled friendly and I looked after well with my stick. There was two eating areas and a huge gift shop, yes we brought things.


The Exhibition started off with the history of the workers in Belfast and covered its main trade which before the shipbuilding was linnen

the different types of linnen

the ships plans, intereactive floor display, great fun

A mock up of the flush and rich first class cabins.

Even second class was considered quite luxorrous.





The distress calls when disaster struck.  THere was an interactive board where you had to try and morse code what they were typing at the speed they were doing it.  I couldnt do it. 

The Dry dock where the Titanic would have stood. 

Me in the Metal Titanic sign outside the museum. 

Rob outside the metal Titanic sign.

A mock build up of the ships bow. 

The posts represent how tall the bow was.  THe actual size of the Titanic was two more of those posts on top.  Awe inspiring.  I still cant concieve the actual immensity of it.  There are more pictures, but I wont bore you with all of them.  The weather was fantiastic as was the people and the hotel we stayed in.  We will definately be going back. 

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Wow!! What super fantastic post Sara...so much to see and feast the eyes upon..totally magnificent!! Thankyou for sharing your journey..outstanding!
Victoria

Toriz said...

WOW! One more reason for me to want to visit Ireland, I think!

Linda said...

Totally amazing photos...I love them all and what a nice vacation..

thank you for your comment.